But I am resolved that this needs to be done, that teaching English will have the best results. I keep bringing up Healthy Lifestyles, but everyone seems to take that as sports instead of the alcohol and smoking education track I was thinking of. I asked my host mom if this was taught and she said, no, the students aren't interested. I have gotten this response often and think it is an awful answer. It took me only one trip to the local disco-tech to discover the huge ominous problem not only in my small village, but in all of Ukraine. There was one 15 year old boy in particular that caught my attention. His friend kept dragging him, literally dragging, to the bathroom to make him throw up. This kid could not stand on his own but kept attempting to get away and dance. I have had a few friends tell me similar stories of their own, one involving a nine year old smoking and swimming at the same time.
I already knew what the problem was when I pushed Ena for more answers, "How do you educate children about smoking and drinking when their parents are smoking and drinking with them?" And that is the million dollar question. Can I tell Sergei that his chances of dying young from lung cancer are huge if he smokes when he goes home and smokes with his father every day? I heard a story about a 5th grader showing up to class drunk here in my village. When the parents were called they didn't care.
And where does this problem even start? Where is the blame to be put? In the parents who set the bad example? Or their parents who had the same problem and still drink vodka chased by beer for breakfast? Or how about the thousands of drunks around Ukraine stumbling down the street drunk every morning, afternoon and night? Or even better, how about the stores that sell alcohol and cigarettes to kids? They need the money to live – why not sell to a child if their children smoke and drink? On top of that, beer is considered a soft drink in Ukraine. It is cheaper than water.
Honestly, I have no idea what the answer is – not even a clue where to start. My host dad smokes and luckily, he takes his son aside every day and tells him not to smoke. If they have champagne they give the kids a small glass, but also preach the importance of not drinking. How is it that some parents end up taking responsibility and some don't?
I came to Ukraine with what I thought were realistic goals and expectations. I did not come to save the country or lives with my preaching about a "better life." But what I didn't expect is to feel so helpless about a problem that is completely out of my control. I want to change them. I want to make them understand the harmful effects and dark path they are starting down. But that is so naïve.
I am doing the only thing I can. I am trying to get kids busy and involved in other things like English classes and sports. I hope to earn respect so that when I see Oksana or Boris smoking I can approach them about it and they will listen to me. Maybe eventually I will find a time and a place where I can teach the kids but that time is not now. I need to find my place here first, learn about the inner-workings of the community, ask questions, learn Russian, and then maybe they will listen to me and we can start doing something together.
____________________________________________________________________________________
Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase.
http://farechase.yahoo.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment