Monday, January 22, 2007

RUSHING TO WAIT

Throughout the past year, I have read and been told that the Peace Corps application process is a test of patience. You are told that you need to get them information as soon as possible, and then you must wait. This whole process has taken me about a year. After I sent my application in last May I had to rush to send in finger prints, legal and work information before my interview. Once I got my nomination I had to rush to fill out pages of medical/dental information, only to wait 12 weeks to get everything cleared. My Placement officer emailed me in November but I didn't actually get a call until today, January 22.

Instead of being sent to my nominated spot in the Pacific Islands, they found a great spot for me in Eastern Europe at the end of March. I had a feeling that this would happen because of the lack of NGO advising programs in the Pacifics. I have until to tomorrow to decide, but I'm actually really excited about Eastern Europe and plan on accepting. The only hang up is the cold. I know i'm from Michigan and should be used to it, but I hate the cold!

When I walked outside today on the way to the gym it was 17 degrees. I tried to convince myself that it wasn't that bad, but my legs were going numb. And oddly, because I live in a very residential area, I came across a hawk eating a squirrel in my backyard. I decided to check on the symbolism behind this for fun:



Hawk Symbolism

In representation to humanity, the hawk is called messenger, protector and visionary. Keen vision is one of it's greatest gifts. Hawks see things others miss.

The hawk comes to you indicating that you are now awakening to your soul purpose, your reason for being here. It can teach you how to fly high while keeping yourself connected to the ground.

My soul purpose! My reason for being here! It's a sign!

Though really, i would have accepted even if i didn't see the hawk. I'll just buy a really, really warm jacket and dress in layers if it's freezing. And who knows, maybe i won't get the frigid Ukraine, but the milder Bulgaria instead.

I still like the hawk symbolism though. I think i'll appoint it as my power animal!!!

I feel like i have so little time now. After all of this rushing and expecting and waiting, March is only a few months away. There is so much to do and it will be hard to get it all done.

All of this rushing to wait, and now i have to sprint to be ready in time.

No comments: