Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Since I've been Away

I've noticed a few changes in myself. I don't know if
it was the Middle Eastern air or Ukraine grabbing a
bigger part of my soul, but all of the sudden I really
like the idea of tucking my jeans into my boots. Or
if not tucking, than rolling them up so my boots show.
Not only does it keep my jeans from being covered in
snow and mud, but I think it looks cool. A mere two
weeks ago when I left I still considered this a
fashion faux pas…what happened to me?
In addition, I thought that my Russian would suffer
after being away almost three weeks. On the contrary,
it seems like it is at the exact same point as when I
left. This could be the result of having to speak
Russian through my massage at the Dead Sea….possibly
one of the creepiest experiences I've ever had (and
let me tell you how relaxing that was). To
demonstrate the beauty of the English language, this
particular Russian man decided to say, "I like you, I
like you. I love you. I want you live in my home."
Uh-huh. He also told me I had cellulite. Not
relaxing. "You have bruise here, but I did not give
you this one. I gave you different ones." At least I
learned the Russian word for bruise.
Anyway, there was a point to this story and it really
has nothing to do with the Russian massage. I was
talking to my little big brother today and I forgot an
article. That's right. I forgot "the" at some point
and didn't even notice! There are no articles in the
Russian language, so now in addition to speaking
Russian like I speak English, I'm speaking English
like I'm speaking very poor Russian. I had a friend
who once forgot the word for microwave. "It's a big
box, you heat up food in it…." I think that this
moment is not too far away.
I also had an interesting realization today while
walking about in the snow. I really had no where in
particular to walk, but since I hadn't been outside of
my house in three days I thought it wise to move
around. Guess where I walked. In a field! Anyway,
as I was walking along talking to myself I starting to
think about making snowmen in Ukraine. I really like
making snowmen but the challenges of Ukraine add a new
dimension to snowman making. The reality of my
village is that there is animal shit everywhere, be it
goose, goat, dog, cat or cow. It would be virtually
impossible to roll a snowball without some encounter
of a hopefully frozen pile. Is it worth the risk? I
haven't yet made up my mind. Chances of fun here are
far and between and it might be fun to have a
"Dalmatian" snowman. Anyway. I'll keep you updated.

____________________________________________________________________________________
Be a better friend, newshound, and
know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

No comments: