It could be possible that my expectations were too
high. I never intended to save Ukraine, but I suppose
that I did expect people to care that I'm here and to
want to help me help them. I think even that is
overshooting. I used to think poorly of people who
always went in expecting the worst, but now I see
their point.
Ever since I came to this realization things have been
progressively better. Sure, I am only teaching a few
English clubs and sports to insane boys at the moment.
But I love teaching my second through fourth graders
and as for the boys, they always show up late which
means less time with them…kidding! (kind of).
Even the boys are showing their true colors sometimes.
I recently noticed that as mean as they are to each
other they are also affectionate in their own way to
each other. It's all a huge cycle. The older boys
treat the younger boys how they were treated and when
the younger boys grow up….it's all about adapting to
the world of Ukrainian men. They are faithful friends
but they know their place.
The biggest problem is still communication and that is
not going away anytime soon. That the village folk
speak Ukrainian is a huge problem for me. Not only
that, but my vocabulary is just not big enough yet to
communicate clearly on all topics. It doesn't help
that I don't have a translator or someone to help me
through in English when I really need it. Meetings
with the organizations are downright frustrating.
The second biggest obstacle is cultural differences.
These obstacles are things that are unimaginable in
the beginning. Even when I am going through them they
are impossible to understand sometimes. Take health
for instance. These are the important Ukrainian
health lessons I have learned. They are not only
extraordinary in being, but also in terms that the
people actually believe them. Maybe there is some
truth in some of them, who knows? But say what I may,
I will never convince them otherwise:
1. Rubbing vinegar on my legs and arms will bring my
fever down
2. Wine will get rid of migraines
3. Hard liquor will help my sore throat and stop my
coughing
4. Beer will help with my headaches
5. Salo (raw pig fat) is good for you
6. Eating enormous amounts of food will not make me
fat
7. The draft in the gym got me sick – nevermind germs!
There is also the late factor. I was recently told
that it is Ukrainian tradition to be late for a
meeting. I meet with crazy organization lady every
Wednesday at 11 am. She has showed only once up at
that time. I usually leave after an hour because in
my culture it is rude to be that late. Last week she
showed up on Tuesday at 1 pm. I teach every Tuesday
at 1 pm. And yet today she reminded me we always meet
on Wednesdays at 11 and that she is always there and I
am not. Huh?
Another difference is the sharing of objects in my
house. I don't know what my host family ever did
without me. They use my scissors daily, often need
medicine from me and ask for paper and pens at least
twice a week. Nastia just came in my room and asked
to use my mascara. My tweezers are her favorite pair
and one time she came in and took a big glob of
foundation because she was sunburned. It's not that I
don't mind sharing – they have given me so much. I
just wonder what they did before me. Were they
writing on old envelopes and using knives to cut
everything?
Meetings also have their own character here. Today is
World AIDS Day and the two organizations and I held a
seminar for the 11th form and community leaders. To
anyone who asks, I would describe the meeting as very
Ukrainian. What makes a meeting "Ukrainian?" First
off, it started with singing a karaoke song together.
Following the song, a dramatic rendition of a story
was given and of course, it wouldn't be Ukrainian
without background music. A favorite in my village is
the Kill Bill theme. They used it for graduation last
June as well. I am not sure if they know what it is
from, but I always imagine a samurai coming into the
room and hacking off everyone's right foot, squirting
blood in every direction.
Following the story were another six dramatic stories
and in the end, another song. Tear. And of course a
meeting wouldn't be complete without tea and cookies.
And of course it still wouldn't be complete without
more food after the children leave, and some schnapps,
to help my cough, they tell me. I downright rejected
the salo, but I did partake in the hot sauce that some
clever person decided to bring.
That reminds me though, it was in a bottle with a lid
like a mustard bottle and none of them could figure
out how to use it. I actually had to teach them. I
also had to teach Enna how to use the microwave this
morning. You see that? I'm a teacher!
In terms of teaching, it's already December and part
one of the school year is almost over. I have only 14
days (I'm not counting or anything) until I meet my
brother and his girlfriend in Jordan. I'm already
planning my next semester. I'm going to put it in
writing here to see how much of it actually happens.
English Club, grades 2-3
English Club, grades 4-5
English Club, grades 6-8
Art Club
Sports Club, 2x/week
Co-teach Healthy Lifestyles with Enna, two classes a
week
It's funny, this seems like a ton of work, but really
it is only eight hours of teaching a week. In America
that would be nothing, but here it takes so long to
get anything done that the little I do seems
monumental to me. In addition, it takes hours for me
to plan, translate and prepare materials for each
club. A lot of volunteers have the option of teaching
in English, a luxury I am unfortunately without.
It's interesting how tides change. One minute I am
looking at everything through the negative lens and
all of the sudden it seems, I am looking through the
positive lens. Maybe it has to do with expecting the
worst and always being surprised, but I think it has
just as much to do with different expectations. I
know I'll never be a super volunteer. I need a more
committed community to do anything huge. For now I am
happy with the little I am doing: teaching English
Clubs and how to dispense hot sauce.
NOTE: About pictures, I update them pretty regularly.
Obviously new folders have new pictures, but the My
Village folder is constantly being added to as well.
Be a pal, write me a letter.
____________________________________________________________________________________
Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.
http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping
No comments:
Post a Comment