Wednesday, November 8, 2006

Why Blog?

I am completely new to this blog thing, which is why I started it so early - to figure it all out! I still feel like I am speaking to a whole room of strange people that are thinking "why is she telling us this?"

Why am I doing this? I want to chronicle my adventures in the Peace Corps, including the events leading up to it. Foremost, it is a way for family and friends to see what I have been up to. Second, I have spent hours reading other peoples' blogs about what they felt in the months/weeks before they left and during their service and it has helped tremendously. So this is my way of giving back.

Why the Peace Corps? So many reasons really. I starting seriously thinking about it after a trip to climb Kilimanjaro with my brother, and then solidified my decision following a trip to Morocco the next year (see pics ->). It is partly the adventure aspect that attracted me - learning a new language and customs, living away for so long, travel possibilities in the region. And it is partly that I feel I am too comfortable here. I want to see what I take for granted and I what I truly value away from home. I really want to be able to help people improve their community and lives and work with them to make a difference. I think this kind of work is in my future and this is the perfect start to a career change. And I want to prove to myself that I can do this. I know that i can, but I know that I will be challenged like never before and it isn't going to be easy. And you only live once!

I have been nominated to leave in June but would really like to leave early. I am waiting for my placement officer to call with more details. Until then, I am biding my time in my office cube dreaming of life across the world.
eeeeeeeeeee!

No comments: